60 seconds with professor of nursing Sheila McQueen
Advise, promote health and support people, but never judge, says professor of nursing Sheila McQueen.
After qualifying as a registered nurse and registered sick children’s nurse in the 1980s, Sheila McQueen held a variety of roles in paediatric critical care, including advanced practitioner and senior nurse. She moved into academia in 2002, working as a principal and senior lecturer, and became head of department for public health and wellbeing at Northumbria University in 2013. She has been in her current role as professor of nursing and continuing professional education at the University of Sunderland since July 2016.
What are your main work responsibilities? My main teaching subjects are nursing, paediatric emergency and critical care, advanced practice, continuing professional development (CPD) and practice development.
How did you get your job? I have always...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests