60 seconds with major trauma nurse specialist Amanda Burston
Award-winning emergency care nurse Amanda Burston loves being part of an expert team that delivers high-quality trauma care to patients and families in times of crisis.
Major trauma nurse specialist Amanda Burston has spent the whole of her nursing career working in emergency care. Since qualifying in 1990 from the Royal Derby Infirmary, she has worked as a nurse, senior nurse and nurse educator, and is currently trauma co-ordinator for the emergency department (ED) at Royal Stoke University Hospital.
In 2015, Amanda was crowned RCN Nurse of the Year for her innovative work with the Safer Steps programme, a service for victims of domestic violence she spearheaded at Royal Stoke’s ED. She is also a member of the RCNi editorial board.
What are your main work responsibilities?
Following patients through their journey from when they arrive at the ED to going...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests