60 seconds with Macmillan breast care nurse Sally Jorden
Choose a nursing pathway that inspires you and don't let anyone dissuade you from your goals, says Sally Jorden, the oldest serving nurse at charity Macmillan Cancer Support
Sally Jorden is a Macmillan breast care nurse at Southend General Hospital in Essex. After completing her nurse training in the 1960, she worked as a midwife, health visitor, staff nurse, night sister and ward sister. Now aged 74, she has been a nurse for 57 years, and set up the first breast care nurse service for Macmillan at Basildon hospital in 1994.
What are your main work responsibilities? Providing information and emotional support to patients diagnosed with breast cancer, and their relatives and carers, and helping people cope with the financial impact of cancer. I also attend...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests