60 seconds with lead fertility nurse Laura Carter-Penman
The joys of balancing a leadership role with hands-on care and patient advocacy
Laura Carter-Penman qualified as a nurse from the University of East Anglia in 1996. After working as a staff nurse in elective surgery and urology at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn, Norfolk, she spent two years in the private sector. She was deputy ward manager on a medical ward at The Sandringham Hospital, also in King's Lynn.
She returned to the NHS in 2003 as a senior staff nurse at Hinchingbrooke NHS Trust in Cambridgeshire, rising to ward manager. In 2011 she took up her first post as a fertility nurse, at Bourn Hall Clinic in Cambridge, the world’s first IVF clinic.
After four years as lead nurse at the clinic, she took...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests