60 Seconds with Department of Health professional adviser Ben Thomas
Ben Thomas loves visiting front line services and meeting brilliant and inspirational nurses working in mental health, learning disabilities and dementia care.
Ben Thomas is the mental health, learning disabilities and dementia care professional officer at the Department of Health. He has held a number of senior clinical, academic and management appointments in England and Australia, and was a director of nursing for almost 15 years.
Before working at the Department of Health (DH), Ben was head of mental health and learning disabilities at the National Patient Safety Agency. He is a member of the RCNi editorial board.
What are your main work responsibilities?
To provide support and advice on matters relating to learning disabilities, mental health and dementia care to ministers, DH officials and other government departments.
I also provide national strategic leadership and direction for mental health and learning disability nurses,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests