60 seconds with consultant nurse for older people Nicky Hayes
Nicky Hayes set her heart on gerontological nursing early in her career. Her varied roles mean she still sees patients every day, while also helping to develop the clinical leaders of the future
Nicky Hayes has specialised in the care of older people throughout her career. After qualifying as a registered nurse in 1985, she held a range of clinical and academic posts before being appointed consultant nurse for older people at London’s King’s College Hospital NHS Trust in 2001.
She is also clinical lead for the Older Person’s Fellowship, a national programme sponsored by Health Education England to develop lead practitioners in the care of older people, and consultant editor for RCNi's Nursing Older People journal.
What are your main work responsibilities? My clinical work centres on care for older people...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests