60 seconds with consultant midwife Yana Richens
This consultant midwife loves her job so much that she commutes hundreds of miles a day to see the women in her care.
Yana Richens OBE is a consultant midwife at University College London Hospital (UCLH). She trained as a nurse in 1979 and as a midwife in 1984. Married with three children, her daughter recently qualified as a staff nurse and works in an intensive care unit. She is the first midwife to receive the Mary Seacole Leadership Award. Professional global adviser to the Royal College of Midwives, she is currently completing a PhD on fear of birth.
Supporting a safe, effective service for women through clinical practice, clinical leadership and through leading and implementing midwifery research.How did you get your job?
My career has been varied. I worked as...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests