60 seconds with clinical nurse specialist in stroke Ismalia de Sousa
Never let anyone tell you that ‘you can’t do it’, says clinical nurse specialist in stroke Ismalia de Sousa
Ismalia de Sousa qualified as a registered general nurse in Portugal in 2009, aged 21, and moved to the UK the same year. Her first staff nurse job was in the hyper-acute stroke unit at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust in London. She has also worked in the trust’s acute stroke unit and medical units, and is currently a band 7 clinical nurse specialist in stroke, a post she has held at Imperial for the past three years. She is also on the RCN neuroscience forum steering committee, a member of the editorial board of the British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, and an RCN representative for the Intercollegiate Stroke Working Party group.
What are your main work responsibilities?
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests