Working effectively in a culturally diverse team
Life coach Mandy Day-Calder addresses some of the challenges of working in culturally diverse teams, and offers advice on how to develop your cultural competence
Working co-operatively as a team is a core part of the nursing role, and it involves respecting your colleagues’ needs and values even if they differ from your own.
If you are part of a culturally diverse team, you may need to develop your cultural competence – the ability to treat everyone compassionately and respectfully.
When you are busy and tired, it can be easy to become frustrated if people do things differently to you. Cultural challenges that can arise on a ward include:
- Being understood In a clinical environment, clear communication is vital to ensure safe patient care. But people communicate in
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests