When a colleague needs your support
What do you do if a colleague is having a bad day every day? Resist the urge to judge, assess the situation - and report any concerns about safety immediately
In an average week you may see more of your workmates than your family, so it is natural to support each other through everyday work challenges.
Sometimes, though, you may get a hunch that someone in your team just isn’t themselves; perhaps they seem distressed or constantly distracted and unable to concentrate fully. In these situations, it can be hard to know what to say or do, especially if their performance is being affected.
Here are tips to help you be a supportive colleague and still maintain your own professional responsibilities
More than a bad day at work
If you notice one of your colleagues seems to be having continual ‘bad days’ try...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests