Should I leave the NHS and work for an agency?
For NHS nurses in permanent jobs, the freedom of agency nursing may seem enticing, but it is important to consider the pros and cons.
Agency nursing certainly offers a strong alternative to permanent employment, and many nurses choose it as a full-time career, says Hays Healthcare recruitment company director Simon Hudson. Theres the flexibility in terms of location and shift times, which can appeal to nurses with families or other commitments who need more latitude in their working hours.
A permanent post can give a nurse a sense of stability, a feeling that they belong to a team and have a direction in their career, suggests University of Derby department for healthcare practice deputy head Michelle Brown.
The great advantage of agency working is that it...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests