Searching for meaning
The emotional toll of nursing can have a numbing effect, but it can also leave you searching for answers to the big issues in life
Picture the scene, you are out for a drink with some of your non-nursing friends and they start to moan about their bad days at work. Do you want to scream (Iet’s face it, how hard can office life really be?) then immediately berate yourself for lack of compassion? Well, rest assured you are not alone.
Despite all the media reports and well-intentioned TV dramas, it’s hard for anyone outside of health care to imagine what front line nursing actually entails. You see humanity at its rawest – day in day out. Life, death, tragedy are all acted out in front of you.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests