Maintain your standards of care – but be realistic
Knowing what matters to you most, and that you're doing the best job possible, can help you cope with the stress of rising demands
Even though it’s been a good few years since I nursed on the wards, I will never forget that feeling at the end of a 12.5-hour shift. As I walked off the unit, I would avoid making eye contact with anyone as I simply had nothing left to give. I felt that just one more ‘Nurse, can you help?’ would break me. Fortunately, after a good night's rest, or a few days off, I was usually ready to give of myself again.
Since I left the NHS, wards have got even busier and demands on nurses have risen exponentially. So what happens when rest does not restore you and the only option appears to be giving a little...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests