From care assistant to registered nurse: taking the foundation course route
Two students’ experiences of juggling a nursing course and placements with their care home roleCare workers can start working towards a career as a registered nurse by undertaking a foundation course Picture: iStock
Two care workers in Northern Ireland are about to achieve their ambition of becoming registered nurses, thanks to the support they’ve received from their workplace.
‘They’ve both worked in care homes for years, but because of financial constraints and family commitments they’ve never had the chance to go to university and do their nursing degree,’ says Claire Black, nurse manager at Parkmanor Oaks nursing home in Dunmurry, Belfast, which is part of the Macklin Group.
Encouraged to take on a foundation course, then nursing degree
‘When you see them
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests