Value of many small big ideas
Enhanced health in care home vanguards are producing positive results.
Our health and care services face a number of challenges in 2017. People are living longer and the population is ageing. While this is to be celebrated, older people are more likely to develop healthcare conditions that can restrict their lives and independence.
One in seven people over the age of 85 now live in a care home. They are often frail and vulnerable, with increasingly complex needs and dependency.
When I first trained as a nurse, many of the people I saw on what were previously called ‘care of the elderly’ wards are now care home residents.
This situation is set against challenges concerning the viability of providers, staff recruitment and retention, and a reduction in the number of beds available in nursing homes.
New care models
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests