John’s Campaign can make hospitals more dementia friendly
Open visiting for carers of people with dementia in hospital is proving popular
My trust has joined John’s Campaign , which advocates for the right to stay with people with dementia in hospital.
The campaign was launched by author Nicci Gerrard. Her father, John Gerrard, had Alzheimer’s disease and his condition deteriorated after he was admitted to hospital.
The trust has already introduced open visiting and carers’ passports in recognition of carers’ important role in advocating for and supporting their loved ones.
Even before the introduction of open visiting, staff on many wards would have allowed carers to provide practical and emotional...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests