I'm in work Jeremy. Are you?
On the weekend of July 19-20, Twitter was alive with the hashtag #ImInWorkJeremy as NHS staff tweeted that they were working that weekend. They told of busy shifts, early starts and listed the other staff they were working with, including consultants.
This was a direct challenge to health secretary Jeremy Hunt and his latest plan for a seven-day NHS. Listening to Mr Hunt lately, you would think the NHS runs on skeleton staff at weekends, wilfully putting patients’ lives at risk. The #ImInWorkJeremy tweets painted a very different picture.
Mr Hunt’s argument has been that if you are admitted to hospital at the weekend, you are 16% more likely to die than if you are admitted during the week, and 6,000 people a year die needlessly because of the 'poor' healthcare at weekends. And whose fault is this? Why, it's the fault of hospital consultants according to Mr...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests