How upskilling nurses can solve the care home crisis
Call for specialist gerontological training and new online learning networks
Care homes strive to provide good quality long-term care in the face of mounting pressures.
The population of those in the 85 and over age group is set to double by 2041 , and increased life expectancy will lead to substantial increases in care needs. Predictions suggest that another 71,125 care home places will be needed in the UK by 2025 .
Although there is acknowledgement from all quarters that we face a crisis – and that reform is urgently needed in the way older people are cared for – there
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests