How to set up a virtual frailty ward and ensure continuity of care
Established in response to COVID-19, a virtual frailty ward service means discharged patients can be cared for at home
Why set up a virtual frailty ward?
Our vision was to provide continuity of care by following up discharged older people living with frailty who are at home, and ensuring they receive adequate support to avoid readmission.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, new robust discharge criteria were introduced to facilitate discharge of medically fit patients at the earliest opportunity and to optimise hospital capacity. In response our virtual frailty ward (VFW) was established.
What the VFW provides
The VFW provides nurse-led telephone follow-up for patients discharged primarily from the emergency department (ED) of
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests