Meeting the demands of the UK's 'retirement capital'
Health Education England visit put the focus on delayed discharge in a popular seaside location where a high volume of residents are retirees
Dubbed the ‘retirement capital’ of the UK, Christchurch in Dorset has one of the largest concentrations of older people in the country, with one in three of its 50,000 residents over 65 years old.
This demographic presents unique challenges for the county and, in recent years, it has become clear that health and social care services can no longer work optimally in isolation.
Ongoing discussions about partnership working between Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust and Dorset County Council were given a sharper focus earlier this year when a visit by Health Education England highlighted the need to address the problem of delayed transfers of care.
‘It was indicated...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests