Why is medicines optimisation important for older people living with frailty?
Many older people living with frailty take multiple medicines. Medicines optimisation can help ensure such polypharmacy is appropriate, the best outcomes are achieved, waste is reduced and safety improved
One quarter of people aged over 60 have two or more long-term conditions including frailty (National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) 2016).
Older people often have a number of co-existing medical issues and take multiple medications ( Milton et al 2008 ).
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests