How do I manage the care of an older person with delirium?
Delirium can have devastating effects on an older person, increasing the risk of dementia and mortality. National guidelines recommend prompt detection by screening older people for delirium on admission to hospital
Delirium is a condition that causes an acute confusional state and 96% of cases in the hospital setting are experienced by older people ( Royal College of Nursing 2020 ). As a result of delirium, many older people spend longer in hospital and require complex care during their stay, and some require ongoing care in the community.
A person may...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests