‘Treat each older person as an individual and always care with a smile’
Double award-winning falls coordinator Sharon Love explains why she feels so passionately about her work.
What is your job?
I am the falls coordinator for the Northern Health and Social Care Trust in Antrim, Northern Ireland. My role involves managing a service that follows up and screens older people who have fallen in the community. These are patients attended to by ambulance crews, but who are not automatically transferred to an emergency department.
I also review falls incidents and complete investigations on falls that result in moderate-to-severe injury. Educating staff about falls prevention and management is also a core aspect of this service.
What might you have done if you weren’t a nurse?
Growing up, I always had two careers in mind: teaching and nursing. As a result of caring for a close family member I decided to complete...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests