Teaching students to be knowledgeable and compassionate about dementia care
De Montfort University senior lecturer Chris Knifton on why dementia is an increasingly exciting specialism
What is your job?
I am a senior lecturer in dementia and an Admiral Nurse at De Montfort University, School of Nursing and Midwifery, in Leicester. As well as teaching and supporting dementia professional awareness to nursing students, social workers and policing students, I support dementia awareness across the wider university through short courses open to all staff and students.
As an Admiral Nurse, I also provide occasional support to colleagues and students who know or care for someone who is living with dementia. I am trained and supported by the national charity Dementia UK to do this. My area of expertise also lies in analysing dementia education in higher education institutions, learning disability and dementia, dementia and the law, the history of dementia and conceptualising dementia...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests