Racing back to hospital practice
When Esther Poveda saw an advert for band 5 nurses at Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, she was keen to apply. But she had worked in a care home since coming to the UK from her native Spain 12 months earlier, so she was nervous.
‘It was three years since I had worked in a hospital in Spain and I knew the role would be different over here. I have been nursing for 12 years and felt ready for a new challenge. I enjoyed my work in the care home but wanted to widen my experience.’
Ms Poveda was lucky. Not only did the trust want to recruit a cohort of registered nurses to work on the hospital wards, it was also offering successful applicants the opportunity of a place on its innovative ‘return to work in an acute environment’ (RACE) programme.Esther Poveda says that ...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests