‘I would add a seventh C: the ability to remain calm’
Advanced nurse practitioner Ann Collins describes the qualities needed in her job
What is your job?
I work as an advanced nurse practitioner (ANP) for Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust in an older adult community mental health service.
As an ANP, I work alongside medical staff, and with the wider service, to offer additional and enhanced support in the assessment, formulation and review of treatment plans for older adults with mental health needs.
My role also involves monitoring medication and I run a nurse-led clinic for people who need supervision from mental health services because of the type of medication they have been prescribed.
Why did you become a nurse?
Growing up, I always wanted to be a politician. It was only when I was at college that I met someone with mental health issues and...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests