Care homes can be vibrant and exciting places to work
As head of care and clinical services for 114 care homes across the UK from Edinburgh to Portsmouth, I see nursing in this sector as a rewarding career pathway with plenty of opportunities for progression and training.
One in six of the UK population is aged 65 and over; by 2050 that figure will have increased to one in four. And it is predicted that by 2035 the UK will have 111,000 centenarians, compared to just over 2,500 in 2010.
With this in mind, care home providers such as my employer, Care UK, need to create excellent sustainable services, and to do this they need talented, committed nurses.
Care UK plans to open 13 new homes over the next two years to address this growing demand, so recruiting and retaining the right calibre of nurses is vital.
Many nurses welcome the chance to develop...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests