A passion for collaboration
Kellie Owen, winner of the 2019 Richard Tompkins Nurse Development Scholarship, on influencing the culture of care homes
What is your job?
Clinical team leader for the support to care home team at Solihull Community Services, part of University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust.
The service provides education, clinical advice and support to managers and staff in residential and nursing homes.
It works with them to identify their needs and empower them to provide high-quality care to residents and reduce unnecessary admissions to hospital.
I provide leadership, direction and management.
Why did you become a nurse?
After graduating with a joint honours degree in sport and applied social studies I worked in the recruitment industry for eight years. Even though I was successful I never felt satisfied or happy.
After the birth of my son at...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests