‘As nurses, we are always learning and developing’
Barbara Lawson, care home manager of Kincaid House in Greenock, Scotland, explains her passion for the care of older people diagnosed with dementia
What is your job?
I am a passionate and dedicated care home manager at Kincaid House, in Greenock, Scotland. The home, which is run by Meallmore Ltd, provides care and support for 90 older people, many who have been diagnosed with dementia. I help the team give the best possible care and inspire them to find solutions to complex situations.
Why did you become a nurse?
As a child, in 1984, I watched a BBC report on the famine in Ethiopia and the world’s response to it. I knew immediately that I wanted to help people in some way.
Where did you train?
I started my training in 1995 at Crosshouse...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests