How to lead change and make a difference as a nursing student
A diabetes prevention event led by students identified at-risk patients and sparked a nationwide health promotion initiative
Although Amy Barlow knew she wanted to become a general practice nurse, finding a clinical placement in a GP surgery was tough – but once there, she was able to make a huge difference.
‘I had a week-long placement in general practice in my first year and really enjoyed it,’ says Ms Barlow, an adult nursing student at Northumbria University at the time.
‘Towards the end of my second year, I knew I didn’t want my future career to be ward-based, but it was hard to get a general practice placement as they are few and far between. I kept
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests