Senior staff nurse on a general psychiatric, female-only ward
Senior staff nurse Risq Animasaun reflects on the values needed in mental health nursing
What is your job?
I work as a senior staff nurse on a general psychiatric, female-only ward at the Nightingale Hospital, a private mental health hospital in London. I may work on any of the other wards too, depending on demand.
What are your main responsibilities?
My work is multifaceted so I have to be able to manage strategically, prioritise and adapt to changing situations. I also have to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with colleagues and other professionals, and liaise with patients’ friends and relatives.
As part of a multidisciplinary team, I must ensure that the ward is safe and running efficiently. This includes providing leadership, supervision and support to junior members of staff.
I also attend meetings to advocate on behalf of...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests