From nurse to trust chief: ‘my background informs my style of staff leadership’
Clatterbridge Cancer Centre chief executive’s own experience of being disciplined shaped her management approach
Although she is now a chief executive, Liz Bishop still tells staff how she was once disciplined for making a clinical error as a nurse.
‘When I tell people, it’s a powerful story. Perhaps you don’t get many chief execs saying they made a mistake,’ says Dr Bishop, who became chief executive of Liverpool’s Clatterbridge Cancer Centre in November 2018.
What you can learn from errors of leadership
The incident happened more than 20 years ago, but she can still recall all the details, especially how it made her feel.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests