A privileged position
Claire Harris is ward sister in the acute stroke unit, Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport, Wales. She is responsible for leading a large team of 40 nurses who deliver stroke services to patients in Gwent.
Why did you become a nurse?
No one in my family is a nurse, but since childhood I have wanted to join the caring profession. I enjoy helping people and love working with older people. I definitely think nursing is the vocation for me.
What might you have done otherwise?
Clichéd as it may sound, I always dreamed of being a nurse. Originally, I considered training to become a midwife, but I enjoyed nursing so much that I changed my mind.
What do you enjoy most about your job?
Delivering patient care. I work...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests