Nursing students and mental health issues: who takes care of us?
The pressures on nursing students can have tragic effects. A campaign is seeking to provide support
Continual demands on the nursing profession are becoming increasingly challenging. However, it's often overlooked how these demands are affecting nursing students and our education. We often read about the crisis within the NHS, leaving students feeling uncertain and fearful.
There’s pressure on us to perform as well and we endure copious amounts of stress at university, during placements and in our personal lives. Collectively, this is significantly impacting on nursing students' well-being.
Afraid to talk
Unfortunately, many students are afraid to talk about how they are feeling in case people think they're not up to the job or question their abilities. Is this situation being recognised?
Recently, I read an article in Nursing Standard about Lucy de Oliveira, a nursing student aged...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests