Otis Doesn’t Scratch
I found this two-part resource an excellent addition to my experience kitbag. The first part is about Ted and his mum – who self-harms – and Otis the cat.
It is illustrated well and comes in the form of an easy read for most children, probably aimed at six years plus.
The second part is a guide for professionals and those engaging with issues of self-harm. The story deals with those primary issues that would concern most children who witness self-harm in their carers or significant others in their lives. These relate to issues of guilt, confusion, who to trust and feeling helpless.
It is engaging and enabling of wider discussion between professionals, people who self-harm and affected others.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests