Children’s respiratory illnesses: why are emergency department attendances on the rise?
With lockdown easing, hospitals report a surge in presentations usually seen in winter, but the surge is not COVID-related
Emergency departments (EDs) are reportedly seeing very high numbers of young children for this time of year.
The attendances are not related to COVID-19, but instead appear to be linked to respiratory infections usually seen during winter.
What kind of respiratory illnesses are being seen?
The increase in cases is related to a range of respiratory infections, including respiratory syncytial virus and bronchiolitis, parainfluenza and rhinovirus, all of
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests