Stop bombarding children with junk food advertising
Nurses must act as role models and support all efforts to tackle the growing obesity crisis.
A year ago the government launched its childhood obesity plan Childhood Obesity: A Plan for Action . This long-awaited plan had been eagerly anticipated by health professionals after the government promised it would be a comprehensive and far-reaching strategy to tackle the devastating childhood obesity crisis.
With one in three children overweight or obese, a comprehensive strategy to reduce obesity is desperately needed. Obese children are five times more likely than average to grow into obese adults, with the increased risk of a range of devastating physical health conditions and associated mental health problems.
Unfortunately, what the government eventually launched was met with universal...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests