So many people helped me achieve my OBE
I opened a Private and Confidential (on Her Majesty’s Service) letter on a Saturday in May with trembling hands. In typical nurse fashion I somehow assumed I had committed some enormous transgression. It never occurred to me that this would be the most tremendous honour of an OBE bestowed for services to the profession I have been privileged to be a part of for my entire career.
I burst into tears – alone in the house – overwhelmed with pride, humbled to have been chosen and sad that I could not share this with my mother who died some years ago and would have been so proud and relieved that it was not a monumental transgression!
The morning was spent in quiet reflection of what this really meant as I was banned from telling anyone for the next six weeks until the list was published in...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests