Empowering looked after children and young people to take control of their health
How one former care leaver is trying to help children and young people in similar situations navigate the healthcare system.
My early childhood was not a positive one. I was physically and emotionally abused, and neglected. Fortunately, when I was seven, the police arrived and took me for a medical assessment and it was confirmed that I had non-accidental injuries. As a result, I was taken into emergency foster care.
Being in care meant that I was taken for annual health assessments. I did not enjoy these appointments (Kelly 2016) – none of my friends had to have them and I could not understand why I did. So, at the age of...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests