Nursing Standard podcast: RCNi Nurse Awards 2018
RCNi nurse of the year 2017 Melanie Davies talks about her achievements
Listen to the Nursing Standard podcast
- 0:00 – Introduction and end-of-life care survery
- 3:51 – Caroline Shuldham's RCNi Nurse Awards tips
- 14.00 – RCN Nurse of the Year 2017 Melanie Davies
Share your feedback
Subscibe to the Nursing Standard podcast
Listen to this special edition of Nursing Standard podcast to hear all about RCNi Nurse Awards 2018.
RCN Nurse of the Year 2017 Melanie Davies explains how she helped transform learning disability care on a general ward in South Wales.
She also reveals what winning the award meant to her and how it has helped her career.
Ms Davies tells listeners how her uncle's experience of learning disabilities, and later the untimely death of patient Paul Ridd pushed her to reform care at Morriston Hospital, near Swansea.
Find out more about Mr Ridd's story in this video by learning disability charity Mencap.
If you are considering entering the awards or nominating a colleague, go to www.nurseawards.co.uk to submit your entry before 9 February.
Advice on how to enter
In the podcast, lead judge and RCNi editorial advisory board chair Caroline Shuldham explains what she is looking for in a potential winner and offers some useful tips to help your submission.
Remember to subscribe to Nursing Standard podcast and recommend it to friends and colleagues.
Series two of the podcast starts on 21 February.
Catch up on previous episodes
- Episode 1 – ‘Workforce planning is not a game of chess, Jeremy Hunt,’ says Dame Donna Kinnair
- Episode 2 – ‘Pay cap was legitimate but stupid now,’ Norman Lamb tells Nursing Standard podcast
- Episode 3 – Changing attitudes towards people with learning disabilities
- Episode 4 – Celebrating the legacy of Mary Seacole
- Episode 5 – Overseas exchange programme aims to improve retention at trust
- Episode 6 – RCN Wales director backs proposals for care qualifications
- Special – On site at Grenfell
- Special – End of year Christmas quiz