How to spot the signs of self harm in a young person and handle the situation
Nursing students at the University of Leeds looked into the issue of self-harm as part of their studies on the mental health of children and young people
Self-harm and the issue of young people's mental health was the focus of a workshop involving children's nursing students and mental health nursing students at the University of Leeds. During the study day the students designed a poster looking at what signs to look out for, how to interact with young people experiencing self-harm and what not to do. This poster, titled Help Break the Cycle, won a competition which was judged by a young adult with experience of mental healthcare services and a retired mental health nurse.
The remit of the poster was to raise awareness of young people’s...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests