Nursing assessment of an infant with bronchiolitis
Davies C, Waters D, Marshall A (2017) The nursing assessment of an infant with bronchiolitis. Journal of Child Health Care. 2, 12, 181-190.
To ascertain what type of information nurses need to undertake assessments of an infants with bronchiolitis, and how this information is gathered and evaluated.
The research design for this qualitative study was naturalistic enquiry. The sample was ten registered nurses working in a children’s unit in Australia, all with a minimum of 12 months’ clinical experience.
Participants and parents gave their consent to the study.
There were two data-collection methods: ‘think aloud’, in which participants explained their actions as they undertook nursing care, and retrospective, which involved interviewing participants within 24 hours of them undertaking care.
To answer all parts of the research question, a combination of thematic and content analysis was...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests