The benefits of newborn screening to identify cystic fibrosis early on
Newborn screening (NBS) identifies pre-symptomatic babies that are either at risk of carrying or are affected by genetic or congenital conditions (UK Newborn Screening Programme Centre 2012). Screening for cystic fibrosis (CF) is not diagnostic and further testing is required once a positive screening result has been obtained to determine whether the child is affected by CF.
NBS programmes for CF have not been introduced universally worldwide, with some countries...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests