Doris Corkin: 'My students’ achievements inspire me greatly'
What is your job?
I am a senior lecturer in education at the School of Nursing and Midwifery, Queen’s University Belfast. My role is to provide academic leadership in developing and delivering an innovative educational programme in children’s nursing, while teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level. I also supervise MSc students and appraise and mentor new staff. I engage in scholarship and interprofessional education, facilitating simulated learning, presenting at national and international conferences and organising local study events.
I really appreciate my teaching job, though it can be demanding. I also enjoy my position as chair of the RCN children and young people’s specialist care forum.
Why did you become a children’s nurse?
As a young child I enjoyed role play and I remember dressing up in a nurse’s uniform and during my teenage years I regularly looked after...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests