Creating lasting memories in end of life care
Lead nurse Candice St John has a unique way to help bereaved families remember their children
Helping families who use the Tŷ Hafan hospice in south Wales create lasting memories of their children has become an important part of the work of lead nurse Candice St John.
Ms St John started by making handprints in clay and plaster as a hobby and found that families loved to create casts with their children. The bespoke service is offered free of charge and Ms St John has started to train other staff in the skills at the hospice, in Sully, Cardiff.
Ms St John, who scooped the Suzanne Goodall paediatric award at the 2017 RCN in Wales Nurse of the Year awards in November, says: ‘We make the casts...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests