I want to quit nursing – what would help me make my decision?
Before you commit to resigning from your job or even leaving the profession, there are some questions it would be sensible to ask yourself
Nursing has never been an easy job – even when I trained, wards were constantly short-staffed and demands were never ending.
But the pressures I coped with pale into insignificance compared to nursing in 2022. Most clinical areas were severely overstretched even before the pandemic but the past two years have seen nurses face unprecedented pressures and challenges.
It is little wonder more than 50% of nurses and healthcare support workers who took part in the RCN 2021 employment survey said they are planning to leave the profession, with many citing feeling undervalued and overworked as the reasons.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests