Nurse’s podcasts tell true story of life on mental health wards
Podcasts aim to dispel myths about mental illness, remove stigma and give patients a voice
Public perceptions of mental healthcare are still based on the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, despite it being produced more than 40 years ago, says newly qualified mental health nurse John-Barry Waldron.
‘It’s a great film but that image persists, and it has an impact for us on the ward,’ he says.
‘If you ever see a psychiatric hospital in a film, patients are always portrayed as dribbling in a corner, wearing a straitjacket.’
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests