'When I speak about my fears I become less fearful of them'
Nursing student Matty Laycock reveals the techniques he uses to help him deal with his OCD
I have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
During my pre-registration nursing studies, I discussed this personal area of my life in public, most recently during a keynote speech I gave at the University of York 2018 pre-registration nursing conference. Our patients and the public can see they have nothing to be ashamed of if they see their nurses proudly and visibly looking after their own mental health.
Standing in front of an audience made up of my peers and lecturers, telling them how for years I used to have repeated obsessional thoughts about killing my loved ones, I certainly had a ‘is this my life?’ moment.
I felt anxiety swirling around inside me. My mind threw thoughts at me like: ‘They may think I’m weird,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests