Learning disability nurse shortage: how it’s affecting inpatients
Lack of specialist staff is leaving people with learning disabilities being cared for on mental health wards that are ill-equipped to meet their needs
- At least 2,010 people with learning disabilities and/or autism in mental health facilities in England despite moves to reduce that number
- Shortage of specialist learning disability nurses in inpatient settings is having a hugely negative effect on their care
- Initiatives to train generalist staff are improving care but there is no substitute for support from learning disability specialists
The shortage of learning disability nurses is well known.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests