Half a century of nursing with mental health nurse Kevin Gournay
You would be hard pressed to think of a more influential UK mental health nurse than Kevin Gournay.
His illustrious career started 51 years ago, when, rather than take up the offer of a place at medical school, he decided to work as a nursing assistant. That led him on to a dual qualification in mental health and mental sub normality nursing, as it was called in those days, at Darenth Park and Stone House hospitals in Dartford, Kent.
Although unplanned at the time, his career set off at a blistering pace, and by the end of 1975 Professor Gournay had gained three nursing qualifications and experience of teaching nursing students. His next job entailed setting up and running a therapeutic community in Sussex, something he had never done before, and then he moved to London to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests